Visa Information

city college oxford visa information

[greenheader]UK visa[/greenheader]

UK immigration and visas are managed by the UK government’s Home Office. Please check the UK Visas and Immigration website for more information. 

[greenheader]Check your category[/greenheader]

Immigration requirements for the UK are determined by your nationality and whether you are:

  1. an EU/EEA/Swiss national or
  2. a Non EU/EEA/Swiss national

EU and EEA country list on the UK CISA website

[greenheader]Advice for EU/EEA/Swiss Nationals[/greenheader]

If your passport is issued by a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you can enter the UK freely - you do not need a visa. This includes dual nationals (people with two or more nationalities) who use their EEA/Swiss passport to enter the UK.

Your EEA/Swiss family members can also join you. Further information is available on the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website:

UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA)

[greenheader]Advice for Non-EU/EEA/Swiss nationals[/greenheader]

Any other nationality will have to consider what visa type they will need and how to apply for it.

There are two categories of nationalities for UK immigration purposes: visa nationals and non-visa nationals.

What visa options are available to you and how you apply, depends on which one of these you are, what course you are studying and how long your course is for.

Firstly, find out whether you are a visa national or non-visa national, by checking the "visa national" list for the UK: Visa national list on the UKVI website:

Visa national list on the UKVI website

Next, refer to the information below which explains your options:

My country is on the list

You are a visa national:

You must obtain your visa before you leave your home country.
If you intend to travel to the UK to enrol on a course which lasts 6 months or more, you must get a Tier 4 (General) student visa before travelling to the UK.
If your course of studies is less than 6 months, you must either get a student visitor or Tier 4 (General) student visa. If your course contains a work based learning (paid or unpaid), regardless of the length of the course, you must get a Tier 4 General student visa.

My country is not on the list

You are a non-visa national:

If you intend to travel to the UK to enrol on a course which lasts 6 months or more, you must get a Tier 4 (General) student visa before you leave your home country.
If your course is less than 6 months, you can apply on entry to the UK as a student visitor.
If your course contains a work based learning (paid or unpaid), regardless of the length of the course, you must get a Tier 4 General student visa.


[greenheader]What kind of visa do I need?[/greenheader]

1. Student Visitor Visa: You can apply if you are 18 years old or over, and you want to study in the UK for up to six months or  for an extended student visitor visa to stay for up to 11 months.
2. Tier 4 (General): You can apply as an adult student under Tier 4 (General) of our points-based system if you are coming to the UK for your post-16 education.
3. Child visitor visa: You can apply as a child visitor if you are under 18 years old and you want to come and study in the UK for up to 6 months. 

[greenheader]How do I qualify for Tier 4 studnet visa?[/greenheader]

To be eligible for an Adult Student Visa under the new points based system you must have a total of 40 points

Students must meet the full requirements of the Immigration Rules and have 40 points in total as shown in the table below: Points required: 40

Having a valid Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies from a Tier 4 sponsor


Having enough money to cover course fees and monthly living costs(also known as maintenance or funds)


[greenheader]How do I show that I have sufficient funds?[/greenheader]

You have to demonstrate to immigration officials that you have enough funds in your bank account to cover your course fees for one year or whole length of course if shorter than a year and enough living expenses for your first 9 months stay in the UK which is calculated as £1000 per month for London and £800 per month for everywhere else in the UK. You should submit ONE of the following as evidence of funds:

  • A bank account statement
  • A building society/savings account type passbook
  • A dated and signed letter from a financial institution stating that you are the account holder, the account number, and the funds in the account held over the minimum 28 day period

[greenheader]How do I prove that I meet the required minimum English language level?[/greenheader]

Students whose first language is not English are required to show that they have a certain level of English ability. This has been identified by UKVI as follows:

  • is from a majority English speaking country; or
  • has completed an academic qualification, at least equivalent to a UK Bachelors degree which was taught in a majority English-speaking country; or
  • is proficient at CEFR level B1 in each of the four sub-components of language learning (reading, writing, speaking and listening). This is equivalent to at least an IELTS 4.0 in all of the four sub-components.

UKVI have provided further information on the changes and how it may affect you, and a new list of approved English language tests and how they meet the CEFR level B1 level.

Can I work while I stay at City College Oxford?

Students are not allowed to work or do an internship while studying at City College Oxford.

Can I bring dependents into the UK?

If you apply for a student visitor visa then you are not allowed to bring dependents with you. However if you apply for a Tier 4 Visa then you might be able to bring your dependents. Please check the criteria on UKVI website.

When should I apply?

You should apply in good time for your entry clearance so that you are not delayed in getting into the UK. It can get very busy in visa sections, especially over the summer when lots of students are applying.

What happens if anything changes in the regulations?

City College Oxford will continue to keep you updated of any additional changes as soon as we have this information. In the meantime, please feel free to contact us with any questions.

Is there anything else I need to do once I get my visa?

Under the new system City College Oxford is also monitored by the UKVI and must be able to check the following documents and contact details of all students attending City Coleege Oxford

  • Your Passport – please bring it with you to school on your first day – each students’ passport photo page and UK visa details will be photocopied and stored in your student file.
  • You must provide full contact details (full address and a telephone/mobile number) to school staff on the first day, even if you have made your own accommodation arrangements.
  •  The school will check your attendance in class daily. If you miss more than 10 days of classes the school is required to report this to the UK Border Agency.
  • You must inform the school in advance of any planned absence such as an official appointment or family commitment. In these cases, you must present documentary evidence like an appointment card / an official letter to request absence to the school staff. In the event of an unexpected illness, you are required to telephone the school on the morning of your illness. If the illness persists, you should seek medical advice and arrange for a doctor’s note.

Where can I get more advice and information?

Contact The UKVI English UK also provides useful information to help international students prepare for studying in the UK.

For more advice and information about extending your stay once you are in the UK, contact:

The UK Border Agency
Lunar House 40
Wellesley Road
Croydon CR9 2BY
Phone: (+44) (0)870 606 7766 (general enquiries)
Phone: (+44) (0)870 241 0645 (application forms)